MADM 720 Instructions to complete Leadership Development Portfolio
What is a Leadership Portfolio? A Leadership Portfolio is an ongoing reflection of the individual accomplishments, skills, activities and other related experiences that have contributed to your personal leadership development throughout the semester. See the section entitled “What is included in my leadership portfolio?” to ensure that you follow the correct format. What are Leadership Self-Assessment Questionnaires? At the end of several chapters in the textbook are self-assessment questionnaires. For each chapter that we cover in the Northouse textbook, complete the questionnaire at the end of the chapter. Once you complete a questionnaire, you will rate or score your responses. In addition, you will write a 1-2 paragraph summary of your results based on the scoring interpretation and questions presented at the end of the questionnaire. As we cover each chapter, I highly suggest that you complete each questionnaire. The results from your questionnaire will not be due until the end of the 7-week module. However, completing them as you go will save considerable time. You will complete a total of nine (9) leadership self-assessments: Week 1 Myer’s Briggs (MBTI) Personality Test
Week 2 Leadership Trait Questionnaire – Chapter 2 Skills Inventory – Chapter 3
Week 3 Situational Leadership Questionnaire – Chapter 5
Week 4 Dimensions of Culture Questionnaire – Chapter 16 Gender Implicit Association Test – Chapter 15
Week 5 Team Excellent and Collaborative Team Leader Questionnaire – Chapter 14
Week 6 Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire – Chapter 8
Week 7 Servant Leadership Questionnaire – Chapter 10
**7/22/17 – Updated by Dr. Williams. Culture and Gender moved to Week 4 and added Gender Implicit Association Test. Removed Authentic Leadership from Week 5** **8/7/17 – Updated by Dr, Williams. Removed Chapter 13**
What format should I use for my Leadership Portfolio? Since you will be writing and reflecting on your leadership development throughout the course, create your documents in Microsoft Word or a comparable word processing program. Your portfolio should include a section for each of the items in the Table of Contents. Each section
should be clearly labeled, either with a title page or with a distinct header. Use 12-point font, Times New Roman or Arial, double spaced, 1-inch margins. What is included in my Leadership Portfolio? Your portfolio will be assessed for grammar, punctuation, and proper formatting. (5%) Use 12-point font, Times New Roman or Arial, double spaced, 1-inch margins Your leadership portfolio should include the following:
• Cover page • Table of Contents page • Personal Statement or Philosophy on Leadership • Results & Reflections on Leadership Self-Assessment Questionnaires • Moments of Inspiration & Motivation • Essay on Summary of Leadership Development Experience
The table of contents for your leadership portfolio is listed below. In your table of contents you should list each major heading: Table of Contents
I. Personal Statement or Philosophy on Leadership II. Results & Reflections on Leadership Self-Assessments
III. Moments of Inspiration & Motivation IV. Essay on Leadership Development Experience
Personal Statement or Philosophy on Leadership (1 page) 5% Develop a personal statement or philosophy on leadership. In this case, creating and describing what leadership is and what it means to you will help to develop an understanding of why you participate in leadership. Your statement can include: your definition of leadership, a description of leadership qualities, or what you think is the most important thing about leadership. For example: Leadership is the ability to guide a group of people in accomplishing a task or goal while utilizing the skills of each member of the group and making each member feel committed to the process and the group as a whole. A good leader sets attainable goals, involves everyone in the group, and acknowledges the skills of each member of the group. The most important leadership characteristic is enthusiasm. When goal attainment is difficult the leader can recognize difficulties without sacrificing enthusiasm or encouragement. Your personal statement can be succinct, like the one above, or more detailed, but should not be more than one page. Moments of Inspiration/Motivation (2-3 pages) 30% In this section, you have an opportunity to highlight some of your moments of inspiration throughout the semester. Leadership development is a deliberate act. You must be present, dedicated and actively engaged in the process. Be as daring, courageous and creative as you’d like! Include pictures of someone who motivates you or social media posts. You will need at
least five examples/experiences with a brief description of what is it, why you were inspired and how it relates to leadership. Limit to no more than 3 pages. Your reflective essay could include:
• I participated in a volunteer experience with Habitat for Humanity. This experience challenged me to be a better leader because….
• I most admire Nelson Mandela as a leader because…. • The quote “To whom much is give, much is expected” inspires me to serve others.
Serving others will help me be a better leader because… • I watched a Ted Talk video on Dr. Brene Brown called The Power of Vulnerability. This
video inspired me to focus on vulnerability and courage which will make me a better leader because….
• I was selected to lead a project at work or school. This was an awesome leadership experience because…
• I have difficulty speaking in front of large groups of people. I decided to join Toastmaster’s to improve my communication skills. Improving my communication skills will help me be a better leader because….
• I asked John Smith to become my mentor. Having a mentor will challenge me to develop as a leader because…
• Using social media to network is helps to build relationships. Networking is a great leadership skill because…
• I volunteered to coach my son’s football team. Serving as a coach and mentor is important to me because…
Results & Reflections on Leadership Self-Assessments Questionnaires (length will vary) 30% See section above related to leadership self-assessment questionnaires. The results from your self-assessments must be combined and included in your leadership development portfolio. Essay on Leadership Development Experience (2-3 pages) 30% The final aspect of your leadership portfolio is a 2-3 page essay on your leadership development experience this semester. In this essay you want to describe if and how you’ve grown as a leader. Describe in detail how experiences, self-assessment results, dialogue in class discussion forums, videos, etc. impacted your leadership growth. As you reflect, consider the following:
• How has your definition of leadership changed during the semester? If it did not, explain why?
• Has your ability to effectively communicate with others changed? Why or why not? • Did you experience an increase in awareness of yourself and others in relation to
leadership? If not, explain why. • How have you demonstrated the skills necessary to work collaboratively? Effectively
communicate? Lead a team? • Which leadership style do you must closely align with? As an example, are you a
transformational, situational, authentic or servant leader or combination of a few? • Describe how you better understand leadership as a process, not a position?
• Discuss how you have sought opportunities to enhance your leadership development and engage in leadership behaviors. Have you adjusted how you lead and/or follow others?
• Overall, how was your experience in the course? Do you believe that your leadership communication skills have improved? Has your confidence grown as a leader?